FRANKLIN HIGH SCHOOL
Franklin MA | New Facility | 306,543sf
The Town of Franklin is known as the home of America’s first public library. Benjamin Franklin donated 116 books from his personal collection in 1790 which are on display in Franklin’s Ray Memorial Library constructed in 1905. The new school draws inspiration from the Greek revival style of the Ray Memorial Library. In order to subdivide the 1,650 student population into smaller houses, the second and third floor classrooms are divided into eight clusters; juniors and seniors occupy four clusters on the third floor and freshman and sophomores occupy four clusters on the second floor. The first floor contains shared program spaces such as business labs, media center, performing and general arts, broadcast journalism suite, language lab, and senior seminar labs. Each cluster contains six classrooms, a science lab, and educational support spaces. A dedicated Project Team Room, adjacent to each science lab, allows long-term student project exploration and small group study. Four student applied technology labs are dedicated to studies in forensics, robotics, physiology, and alternative energy. The project incorporates many sustainable design features and is designed to be LEED Silver Certified.